Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Newsbreaks for Wednesday

Written by | Edit this Post

Topics:



Audio version is here.

A Turkish court has blocked the popular video-sharing site YouTube from being accessed in Turkey…They didn’t mention Newsbreaks by name, but that’s just because they didn’t want me to get the free publicity.
The Turks are angry over some videos posted by Greeks, saying that all Turks are homosexuals. You heard me right: Greece is calling another country gay. That Greece. That one. The videos showed pictures of well-known Turkish gays like Socrates and Sappho.
But there are no good guys here: Apparently it’s a crime in Turkey to insult that country’s founder, Kamil Ataturk, or even “Turkishness” in general. Doing that’ll get you sent to prison. Saying “Turks are maybe just a little oversensitive ” will only get you a fine.
It’s okay, I can say it. This won’t be seen in Turkey anyway.

Celebrity Rosie O’Donnell admitted today that she undergoes treatment for depression. Asinine comment from Donald Trump in 3, 2, 1…

Officials in Chongking, China have ordered that all of the pet dogs in one district of that ciy are to be killed as part of an anti-rabies campaign. As you might imagine, not everybody is pleased about this. One person said anonymously, “I guess one of the mayor’s daughters is getting married.”

And finally, Marvel Comics has announced that it is killing off Captain America. I have to admit, my first thought was: I wonder if my back issues will be worth more?
Twenty years from now, comics fans will ask each other, “Where were you when Captain America was killed?”
“Probably having sex with some hot girl…You?”
“Oh, me too. Totally.”
“Totally.”

0 comments For This Post I'd Love to Hear Yours!

Leave a Comment Here's Your Chance to Be Heard!