Saturday, December 15, 2007

Beatles AND Christmas, could it get any better?

Written by | Edit this Post

Topics:

For reasons that must be all too obvious, the Xmas tradition around these parts includes unwrapping the presents to the accompaniment of The Beatles' Christmas albums. For some reason, no above-ground source exists for these tracks, which were end-of-year gifts to all members of The Beatles' Fan Club. (Apple released a vinyl LP in 1970, but no CD version exists.) It's a shame; they're fun, in a Goon Show sort of way.

For those similarly inclined--or attempting to mimic my life in every detail (in which case rest assured I keep the truly crappy parts to myself--there's no reason YOU should go through those too) I've unearthed a place on the 'net where the Fabs' Christmas records can be snagged. I believe this is the same compilation I got in digipak form down in the Village in 2003.

You'd be wise to stop and take a look around. Gonzo runs a great blog; lots of Beatles, and some interesting Prince, too.

1 comments For This Post I'd Love to Hear Yours!

Mollie says:

Same here! The Christmas recordings are the best. And it warms my heart that they kept making them right up to the end -- even though the last couple aren't as much a team effort as they might be.

Every time I hear "Good King Wenceslas" I think of John singing it. "Deep and crisp and crispy," indeed.


Leave a Comment Here's Your Chance to Be Heard!