Tuesday, March 4, 2003

While I'm thinking of it...

Written by | Edit this Post

Topics:

...I also watched "Shadow of The Vampire" last night on DVD. I saw it in the theaters when it came out, being interested in classic horror films as well as Weimar Germany, but didn't much like it then. Guess what? I don't much like it now, either! Willem Dafoe is great, but what awful, stilted writing! Since we're back in the 1920's, well then, people must talk extra flowery. And WHY must English-speaking actors put on phoney Mitteleuropean accents (that they slip in and out of) when portraying Germans? If we are "magically" hearing them in our own language, they wouldn't speak it with an accent! The whole conceit makes it impossible to consider the characters as peers--and leads to humorous moments like when John Malkovich calls the vampire a "rat-bastard." I HATE historical movies with no respect for, or understanding of history. What a wasted opportunity...

0 comments For This Post I'd Love to Hear Yours!

Leave a Comment Here's Your Chance to Be Heard!