Wednesday, December 11, 2002

"The Writer's Desk"

Written by | Edit this Post

Topics:

Mike Sloan sent me a poem he wrote this morning, which I liked. "It's only a rough draft," the ever-modest Mike writes, but I like it just the same.



"The Writer’s Desk



I sit somewhere with a mug and photographs

And I wear sandals.

On the worst of mornings,

I just scratch my head.



I like a cushion on my chair –

Sometimes A Tale of Two Cities.

I stare at photographs

And am mindful of my dog, who notices everything.



I stay close to my bed

And remain suspicious of language.

I vacuum

And watch movies.



I get telephone calls

And dinner.

I take the glasses off my head

And brush my teeth.



When I was in high school,

I wrote for twenty-four hours.

Today, it’s three

And I’m asleep."



Also: adding to yesterday's post about Doonesbury, Rob Schlaff wrote to say that the entire run of the comic strip is archived at www.doonesbury.com.

0 comments For This Post I'd Love to Hear Yours!

Leave a Comment Here's Your Chance to Be Heard!